October 15, 2013

Autumn time!

Dear Family and Friends,

I'm sorry I am behind with my monthly blogging. September started with a bang, and we have been going like crazy without much down time. 

Joey is back in full swing with Calvary Church duties, Calvary Music School business and teaching and performing. At the beginning of September, Joey presented a recital and lecture about the historic Hook organ at United Church in Stonington. The church is located a few blocks from Calvary Church, and the instrument is beautiful. Joey is going to record some organ solo music there soon, and we may also record a piece for organ and violin.

Joey performing on the Hook organ at United Church, Stonington.
 Joey's choristers presented an Evensong service in collaboration with choristers from a church in Hartford last month. It's amazing how much Joey's choristers have matured in their singing. It was a moving service and his children's program continues to grow. It will be fun when Clara is old enough to join the group. She certainly loves to sing!

Joey and our wonderful Curate Emily making announcements at Calvary.
I have been keeping busy with 23 violin students. I teach everyday now except for Sundays and Mondays. I really enjoy my students, and I enjoy the challenge of teaching everything from beginning violin students to advanced, as well as adult students. I also really enjoy taking care of Clara when I am not teaching,k and it makes me bit sad to think that she will be starting nursery school this time next fall. I think my work load right now is just right, because it allows me to do what I enjoy professionally, but also to have a lot of time with Clara.

One of my sweet beginning students.
Joey and I both have an active performance year coming up. Next Sunday we will give a recital of violin and organ music in Killingworth, CT at a small Episcopal church in the woods. The church has a beautiful tracker organ and a nice acoustic. For more information click in the following link: 

http://churchinthewilderness.org/Calendar.html

I will provide a list of upcoming performances in a separate blog.

Clara is doing great. She will be two and a half on October 20th. She has started back to ballet class and is in a group with mostly 3-4 year olds. She has moved to a more advanced class which means mommy and daddy are not allowed to be in the class and observe. She does great being in the class without us, but we really wish we could watch her in the class. She always comes out of the dance room with a huge grin on her face, so we know she is enjoying it. Her language continues to grow in leaps and bounds. She talks quite a bit and loves to learn new things. Right now we are studying different types of leaves out of a book from the library. She can recognize and name about 10 different species of leaves. She still takes a nice afternoon nap everyday and sleeps well at night. 

First day of ballet class!
Running to class. So excited!
I am glad that Joey and I have kept Mondays free for family time. We really need that day to recover from a busy week and enjoy doing fun things together. In spite of the fact that we have all suffered from colds this month, we have been able to do many interesting things. Some of our recent Monday activities have included; A trip to Block Island, visiting Holmberg Orchards and Clyde's Cider Mill, touring the Stonington Lighthouse Museum, various trips to different play grounds, and taking scenic drives to quaint New England towns. We have had a lot of fun on our days off.

Stonington Lighthouse Museum. 
On the ferry to Block Island.
Playing on the beach at Block Island.
Clara in apple cider trance!
Fun in Jamestown, RI.


Clara is growing!
 I was hoping the work on Calvary House would be complete by now, but the house is still in the process of being painted. It has been a bit chaotic having so many workers outside and sometimes inside our house. During one week we actually had to move out of our house because the fumes were too overpowering and not healthy for us to breath. Fortunately we have wonderful friends who were willing to put us up and take care of us for a few days. The house is going to be really beautiful when it is finished. The back and sides of the house are pretty much done leaving only the front side to be completed.

Learning about shapes.
 October is going well so far. My parents and aunt and uncle are here visiting at the moment, and Joey's mom will arrive on the 19th and stay for two weeks. I will be celebrating a big birthday on the 19th, when I turn 30 years old. Wow, I can't believe I'm going to be 30. I don't have any bad feelings about turning 30. In fact, I am the happiest in my life now that I have ever been. I have so many wonderful things to be thankful for, and I look forward to the years to come.

Clara loves Lucy!
I will try not to be so late with my October blog. We are having a beautiful fall here in Connecticut. The weather has been mild and sunny for the most part, and the colors on the trees this year are really vibrant. We recently had fall family photos taken, and they turned out really well. I will share some in the October blog.

We hope you are enjoying the month.
Until next post,
Joey, Erin and Clara

Clara's pumpkins.